Keep the Whites Wild continues to oppose new harmful development in the alpine zone on Mount Washington including The Cog’s Lizzie’s Station proposal.
Keep the Whites Wild is a non-profit organization based in New Hampshire’s White Mountains. Our mission is to preserve and protect the diverse biology, natural aesthetic, and intrinsic value of New England’s White Mountain region.
Our Protect Mount Washington campaign launched early 2017 in response to a proposal by The Mount Washington Railway Company (The Cog) to build a luxury lodge in the alpine zone. This beautiful and fragile area on Mount Washington is one of the most unique landscapes in New Hampshire.
While The Cog has abandoned the luxury lodge plan, they’ve proposed a new development in the alpine zone on Mount Washington called Lizzie’s Station. Keep the Whites Wild continues to oppose new harmful development in the alpine zone on Mount Washington including the Lizzie’s Station proposal. New development in the alpine zone has negative environmental, aesthetic, and public safety impacts. We continue to support Marshfield Base Station as an alternate lodging location for The Cog.
Keep the Whites Wild is also concerned about the master planning process currently underway by the Mount Washington Commission. We urge the Commission and Partners to stop development sprawl and make the health of the alpine zone one of the highest priority items in the Master Plan.
Please stay tuned to our website, Facebook page, and email newsletters for more information.
Links and Resources
- Mount Washington Commission website (includes Lizzie’s Station proposal)
- Mount Washington Master Plan & Resources
Upcoming public information sessions on the Mount Washington Draft Master Plan:
- Monday, August 22, 2022 at 7 pm | North Conway Community Center | 78 Norcross Cir, North Conway, NH 03860
- Tuesday, August 23, 2022 at 10 am | NH State House, Room 100 | 107 N Main St, Concord, NH 03303
Written comments on the Draft Master Plan are due by August 31, 2022 and can be sent to MtWashingtonComments@dncr.nh.gov or:
MWC Master Plan Comments
172 Pembroke Rd,
Concord, NH 03301
How can you help?
If you oppose new harmful development in the alpine zone on Mount Washington, there are several ways to help:
- Stay up to date on the Mount Washington Commission and Master Plan.
- Attend the Mount Washington Draft Master Plan public information sessions.
- Donate to Keep the Whites Wild to support a variety of legal, scientific research, and outreach efforts.
Thanks for your support and get in touch anytime!